Toronto – January 30, 2015 – UFCW Canada is calling all activists and allies to support the Have A Heart campaign to bring equality of services and educational resources to First Nations children. On February 10th, the Have a Heart campaign will make its mark on Parliament Hill and send a message to the Conservative government that that we can only progress as a nation when ALL children receive equal access to basic health services and a proper education.
The campaign, which was founded by the First Nations Child and Family Caring Society of Canada (the Caring Society) is about standing up for First Nations children, and their equal right to services so they can grow up safely at home, get a good education, be healthy and proud of their cultures.
Currently, services for First Nations children remain underfunded by the federal government. This inequity in services results in many First Nations communities living below the poverty line, creates overcrowded schools and living spaces, and sees many children dropping out of school, many before the completion of elementary school.
Ways you can help include:
• Organize a Have a Heart Day in your community. Create your own event or mobilize your workplace to raise awareness or join a letter writing campaign in support of this initiative.
• Send a Valentine's Day Letter or Valentine's Day card to the Prime Minister and/or your Member of Parliament. Sign your name on the template provided or write your own version. It can be send via Canada Post postage-free.
• Make a donation to the First Nations Child and Family Caring Society to support the fight for justice. Check out the Have a Heart Day campaign on the Caring Society's webpage.
• If you will be in the Ottawa area on February 10, 2015, join the hundreds of students and community organizations walking to Parliament Hill to demand justice for First Nations children. The event will run from 10:15 a.m. - 11:15 a.m.
• You can also bring awareness to the campaign through social media by using the hashtag #HaveAHeart.
UFCW Canada is proud to partner nationally with The Caring Society on its various initiatives and to support the broader social media involvement which calls on the Harper government to do what's right and treat all Canadians equally.
For further information on the Have a Heart Day event, check out The Caring Society's webpage.