- Parent Category: Directions Newsletter
- Category: DIRECTIONS 10.50
- Created: Thursday, 16 December 2010 19:00
- Last Updated: Tuesday, 26 March 2013 09:58
- Published: Wednesday, 15 December 2010 10:30
- Written by Administrator
- Hits: 23674
In 2010, UFCW Canada, our community partners and allies continued to fight for dignity and respect for the over 250,000 migrant workers that enter Canada annually. For instance, in British Columbia, migrant farm workers at Abbotsford’s Sidhu and Sons Nursery (and see) became members of UFCW Canada Local 1518 and successfully negotiated a first collective bargaining agreement with their employer. What makes this victory so important is that, for the first time in Canadian labour legal history, migrant workers were organized as a separate bargaining unit from domestic workers. Similar successes occurred in Quebec as well.