Food service members at Canada Catering achieve first contract – UFCW 1006A
Meaford, Ont. – September 23, 2017 – UFCW Canada Local 1006A members working at Canada Catering in Meaford, Ontario have ratified their first collective agreement, which brings wage increases and a new health and welfare benefit plan.
The new contract runs until December 2018 and covers 35 members who work in the kitchen and cafeteria at the Canadian Armed Forces 4th Canadian Division Training Centre.
"I would like to congratulate the members at Canada Catering for their solidarity and strength in achieving their first contract," says UFCW Local 1006A President Wayne Hanley. "Through their unity, the workers prevailed in a tough negotiating environment to win this solid agreement,” he adds.
Highlights of the new contract include:
• Wage increases;
• Health and welfare benefits through the Commercial Workers Benefit Trust;
• Increased benefits for bereavement;
• Overtime after eight hours in a day and 40 hours in a week;
• Time-and-a-half pay for any work on statutory holidays;
• Paid breaks and rest periods;
• Achievement of a grievance procedure; and
• Achievement of seniority language
UFCW Canada Local 1006A is a progressive, dynamic, and inclusive union dedicated to making life better for all workers across Ontario. With over 36,000 members, Local 1006A is one of Ontario's largest private sector local unions, representing members in a wide range of industries. To learn more about UFCW Canada Local 1006A, visit their website.