Winnipeg – March 17, 2018 – UFCW Canada Local 832 members working at Instabox have voted in favour of a new four-year collective agreement that provides wage increases, an improved footwear allowance, and more.
The Instabox members manufacture corrugated cardboard boxes, and also work in the shipping/receiving and maintenance departments of the Winnipeg-based company.
“It was a little endeavouring to finalize this contract, but the bargaining committee and the Instabox members stayed strong throughout the negotiations, and we succeeded in getting an impressive agreement,” says UFCW 832 Union Negotiator Sonia Taylor.
Highlights of the new agreement, which runs until the end of 2021, include:
- Wage increases totaling 6.3 percent;
- An improved reimbursement for safety footwear and head band earmuffs;
- A hike to the evening shift premium;
- Full-time employees will receive 8 hours pay for each general holiday;
- Management is now excluded from bargaining unit vacation scheduling;
- Employees have the option of taking vacation or an unpaid leave of absence for the Christmas shutdown; and
- New Workers Compensation Board language has been incorporated into the contract.
UFCW Canada Local 832 is Manitoba’s largest private sector union, representing over 18,000 members in a wide variety of industries, including the retail food, health care, food processing, security, industrial, textile, and transportation sectors. To learn more about UFCW Local 832, visit their website.