Clair, N.B. – April 28, 2022 – UFCW Local 501 is proud to announce the signing of a new seven-year collective agreement for its members working at the Sunnymel chicken slaughterhouse. It was in a harmonious and constructive atmosphere that the eleven negotiation meetings took place, which led to the ratification of the collective agreement of the 179 unionized workers at this plant located in Clair, New Brunswick.
The new agreement secures the jobs of workers and improves their working conditions. Here are some of the highlights of their collective agreement:
- 21 percent wage increase in the first year of the collective agreement;
- Salary increases ranging from 11 to 16.59 percent, depending on classification for the years 2022 to 2027;
- Right to refuse overtime more than 1 hour after the shift;
- Overtime at twice the rate after working 13 hours in production and 12 hours in sanitation;
- Overtime after 9 hours of work on Fridays and holidays at double time for production employees;
- Group insurance coverage paid 80 percent by the employer.
“We welcome this negotiated settlement for our UFCW 501 members at Sunnymel slaughterhouse. This collective agreement is a guarantee of stability. Such a contract thus makes it possible to secure quality jobs in the slaughter sector. Once again, congratulations to the members and the entire negotiating team," says Daniel Nadeau, UFCW 501 Eastern Quebec Director.
To read more about the collective bargaining victory at Sunnymel, click here.
UFCW Local 501 represents 19,000 union members working at more than 410 companies across Quebec and northern New Brunswick. To learn more about UFCW 501 and its outstanding work, visit the Local Union’s website.
How can I gain the benefits of a UFCW contract?
Are you a non-unionized worker who would like to enjoy the benefits of a UFCW Canada union contract? Do you and your co-workers want to gain the union advantage at work? Join Canada’s best union, UFCW Canada, to make your workplace better today. Click here to join the union now.