Toronto – May 23, 2023 – As part of UFCW Canada’s ongoing advocacy for members living and working with a disability the national union released findings of its membership survey through its report entitled, Strengthening Disability Inclusive Workplaces Through a Union Approach.
The report highlights some key takeaways that all disability justice advocates should consider during National AccessAbility Week 2023:
- Over 1 billion people worldwide live with some form of disability;
- 1 in 5 Canadians aged 15 years or older live with a disability;
- Just 59% of persons with disabilities are employed compared to 80% of people without a disability;
- Disability is the highest rated type of discrimination complaint received by the Canadian Human Rights Commission making up 38% of all complaints;
- 79% of respondents to UFCW Canada National Membership Questionnaire on Disability Inclusion said their disability has an impact on job performance;
- 70% of respondents to the same Questionnaire said they were accommodated at work due to their disability or work-related injury;
- Only 50% of respondents to the same Questionnaire said they feel their workplace is accepting of persons with disabilities.