UFCW Canada members Demand that the Government of Canada #Act4QueerSafety and Tackle Rising Hate
UFCW Canada is proud to be a national partner on the #Act4QueerSafety Campaign. The campaign calls on the federal government to create targeted actions in response to rising 2SLGBTQIA hate. Sign your support to #Act4QueerSafety now as we work with Momentum campaign leaders in fighting to achieve these crucial demands.
The bottom line:
- In the past 3 years, we have witnessed a staggering rise in anti-2SLGBTQIA+ hate while the federal government has failed to take decisive action.
- Hate-motivated violence targeting 2SLGBTQIA+ communities is on the rise. Drag spaces are under protest. Visible community leaders are being targeted online. There are efforts to roll back inclusion in our schools, and attacks on essential gender-affirming healthcare have become far too common.
- While the government has taken positive steps in supporting 2SLGBTQIA+ rights, inclusion, and health in the past, they have not acted in the face of rising hate. We need their leadership, now.
- The UFCW OUTreach binational LGBTQ+ member survey showed that 72% of LGBTQ+ workers observed or experienced anti-LGBTQ+ discrimination in the workplace in the last five years and recommended strengthened collaboration with LGBTQ+ organizations to defeat anti-LGBTQ+ legislation and strengthen government legislated worker protections.
We are calling on the Government of Canada to immediately:
- Appoint a Special Representative on addressing and preventing anti-2SLGBTQIA+ hate, mandated to provide guidance and undertake activities to address rising anti-2SLGBTQIA+ hate in Canada.
- Fund a new grant program to address anti-2SLGBTQIA+ hate and misinformation targeting queer and trans communities, and empower 2SLGBTQIA+ organizations - especially pride organizations to address safety and security concerns.
- Publicly and unequivocally condemn rising anti-2SLGBTQIA+ hate and reaffirm Canada's commitment to 2SLGBTQIA+ communities
- Appoint a Canadian Special Envoy on International LGBTIQ+ Human Rights to promote LGBTIQ+ equality and human rights around the world
- Ensure anti-2SLGBTQIA+ hate is meaningfully addressed in the upcoming National Action Plan on Combatting Hate
- Host a National Summit on Third Party Violence with Unions, Governments, Employees and Civil Society Organizations